On March 26, 2009, Worcester Sharks President and CEO Michael T. Lehr announced that Mike Moore was named the team’s winner of the American Specialty/AHL Man of the Year award for his outstanding contributions to the Worcester community during the 2008-09 season.
“Mike, a first year professional and former volunteer fire fighter, has taken the initiative to go above and beyond in regards to community outreach and has established himself as a leader in the Worcester community,” said Lehr.
During the 08-09 season, Mike became the spokesperson for the Worcester Sharks flagship community program, “Be a Leader.” He took the lead at ten assemblies to more than 3,000 students throughout central Massachusetts and has endeared himself to local educators.
Some of his other 2008-09 achievements include:
- Organizing and executing the “Give Moore for the Holidays” toy drive
- Taking the lead at ten “Be a Leader” assemblies, presented to more than 3,000 students
- Participating in six “Reading is Cool” appearances in more than 16 classrooms
- Making several visits to Worcester area hospitals
- Instructing two Worcester Sharks Street Brigades (street hockey clinics)
- Appearing in more than twenty Team Community Appearances
In recognition of his efforts, Mike was presented with an etched crystal trophy during an on-ice presentation, prior to a Sharks home game.